Tuesday 29 April 2014

The Decision

As soon as she entered the gate, the tremors beneath her skin became lot more lively. As she held her breath to make sure she didn’t run out of it, she passed by the casualty ward. The very place where her parents had bid her good-bye 18 years ago.

She knocked at the doctor’s door, “May I come in?”
“Yes, please have a seat. “
She settled down as the doctor went through her reports.
“You sure want to go ahead?”
"Yes doctor”
“Ok then, next Thursday.. But you need to get Mohit along. You cannot be alone on that day”
“Alright.”
She immediately called him as she made her way out of the hospital. But he was not responding.
She went to his house.

“Divya, you here?” asked Mohit.
“You did not pick up my phone.”
“Ya, I was out with my wife.”
”Just wanted to inform you that the doctor has given an appointment for next Thursday.”
“Sure, I will be there. What else I can do for you?”
“No thanks.. You have already done enough” Divya said with her eyes down.


With heavy feet, and heavier emotions, she went home.
Surprised at the number of neighbours gathered around her house, she rushed in and straight went to her granny’s room.
She lay there motionless, but looked like moving closer to mortality.
Divya sat next to her, tightly holding her wrinkled hands. They seem to infuse energy as she also gripped her only grandchild’s hand even more firmly. But it was a moment too short, as the grip of her hand just gave way and she slowly succumbed to death.
Divya did not cry. She just shed few tears to make things believable around her.

As she was ready to light up the pyre, some sparks started burning her from within. She could witness two deaths at that moment. One already over and the other to happen on Thursday.
Her scars were not that visible, but her grief was deepening every moment. But maybe it was the spark that was helping her.
As Thursday came, Divya was not thinking about her past. She was desperate to set the uncertain future clear.
She made her way to the doctor’s cabin with a slight shiver.  Mohit looked at her with a fake smile, but she did not feel the need to respond.
“So are you ready?”asked the doctor.
“Yes, but not for what I have come for. I am not letting this happen.”
“Are you sure?”she asked.
“Yes. My parents, my granny all left me. Whatever happened was not in my hands. But my granny maybe blessed me just before her death... I couldn’t hold on to her, but want to hold on to my child!”
Divya sternly left the cabin. Mohit tried calling out to her, but straight headed home as he saw the ‘Wife Calling’ flashing on his phone...

                                           


1 comment:

  1. I now pronounce you, Blogger. You may officially shine bright. :)
    One word. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete